ABOUT THE MULTIDISCIPLINARY SPECIALIZED PEDIATRIC SURGERY CENTRE (2nd CLINIC) OF SAMARKAND STATE MEDICAL UNIVERSITY OF THE MINISTRY OF HEALTH OF THE REPUBLIC OF UZBEKISTAN
The Multidisciplinary Specialised Centre for Children's Surgery (Clinic 2) at SamSMU was established in 1990 on the initiative and under the direct supervision of Prof. A. Shamsiev. Since 2013, Professor Zhamshid Azamatovich Shamsiev is the chief physician of the clinic.
At present, the Multidisciplinary Specialized Centre for Pediatric Surgery (2nd Clinic) of Samarkand State Medical University is a specialized multi-disciplinary, research clinical institution providing highly qualified 24-hour medical care for children of Samarkand, Jizzakh, Navoi, Bukhara, Kashkadarya, Surkhandarya and Khorezm regions. At the same time, this institution is a leading methodological centre for a number of important areas of paediatric surgery. Annually about 21000 patients address to clinic, more than 10000 of them are hospitalized, it carries out more than 8000 difficult plastic and reconstructive operations on heart, lungs, liver, intestines, on organs of urogenital system and musculoskeletal apparatus. In the centre for the first time in the practice of pediatric surgery of Samarkand region operations in congenital heart diseases, bronchiectatic disease, funnel chest deformity, cirrhosis of the liver, congenital diseases of urogenital system, malformations of the large intestine, peptic ulcer and duodenal ulcer, laparoscopic and thoracoscopic operations, endoscopic transurethral cystoscopic stenting of the ureter and renal pelvis, endocollagenoplasty for vesicoureteral reflux, sclerotherapy for varicocele in children as well as bronchoscopy, bronchography, methods of plasmapheresis, splenosorption, ozone therapy, etc. were introduced.
Additionally, seminars and scientific-practical conferences on topical problems in paediatric surgery are organized every year in the districts of Samarkand region and in the south-western regions of Uzbekistan. Moreover, the experienced staff of the clinic are assigned to all the districts in Samarkand region in order to provide methodological assistance to paediatric surgeons. According to an approved schedule, the staff of the centre supervise children's polyclinics in the city, orphanages, boarding schools, preschool institutions and schools, where they conduct monthly consultative medical examinations to identify and treat surgical pathologies.
The clinic has close scientific ties with reputable foreign medical centres. Thus, the specialists of the clinic actively participate in international scientific symposia and improve their qualifications. For the first time in Central Asia, the staff of the clinic became members of the Endoscopic and Laparoscopic Surgical Association of Asia (ELSA) in 2016. In particular, in 2016, 2017, 2018 and during 2019, specialists of the clinic underwent training in the neonatal surgery centre of Astana (Kazakhstan), in the pediatric surgery centre of Stavropol Medical University (Russia), in Severans clinics of Yonsei University and Samsung Hospital (South Korea) and National University Hospital (Singapore), in turn, specialists from Russia, Kazakhstan and South Korea visited our clinic and held "Master classes" on performing endosurgical operations. Memoranda of Mutual Cooperation were signed between Samsung Hospital and National University Hospital (Singapore) and Samarkand State Medical University's Multidisciplinary Pediatric Surgery Centre (2nd Clinic). Professor J.A. Shamsiev was appointed as the Central Asian representative of ELSA. On this occasion, training courses were conducted in Samarkand for specialists from the Centre for Pediatric Surgery (2nd Clinic) Samarkand State Medical University and other medical institutions in Samarkand in 2018 and 2019: "Update on Laparoscopic Surgery", with the participation of specialists from the Asian region (Singapore, Philippines, Malaysia, Pakistan and Japan).
The multidisciplinary Specialist Centre for Children's Surgery (Clinic 2) at Samarkand State Medical University has a 200-bed ward for a range of surgical procedures:
- Thoracic surgery department;
- Urology department;
- Neonatal surgery department;
- Department of General Surgery No.1; (including purulent surgery) with an emergency post
- Maxillofacial Surgery department;
- Department of General Surgery No. 2; (elective surgery)
- Department of cardiac surgery;
- Department of Anaesthesiology, Intensive Care (including one for newborns);
- Day surgery unit.
There is a children's consultation and diagnosis unit, which includes:
- he functional diagnostics department;
- - medical rehabilitation unit
- - ultrasound diagnostic department;
- - X-ray diagnosis department;
- - endoscopy department;
- - clinical immunology;
- - biochemistry laboratory;
- - bacteriological laboratory;
- - pathomorphological laboratory.
Samarkand State Medical University's Multidisciplinary Specialized Centre of Pediatric Surgery (2nd Clinic) includes 4 departments:
- Department of Pediatric Surgery No. 1, where students from the Faculties of Pediatrics, Medicine and Medical Pedagogy of the Medical University study,
- Pediatric surgery, anaesthesiology and intensive care specialist department of faculty of postgraduate education, which trains interns and master's students and provides initial specialized training and further education of paediatric surgeons and intensive care anaesthesiologists from Samarkand, Surkhandarya, Jizzax, Kashkadarya, Navoi, Bukhara and Khorezm regions
- Department of Clinical Laboratory Diagnostics at the Faculty of Medical Education, where students of medical university are trained and laboratory technicians undergo specialization and improve their qualifications.
- - Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery with a course for pediatric MFS.
The Multidisciplinary Specialized Pediatric Surgery Centre (2nd Clinic) of SamSMU diagnoses and treats various surgical diseases and malformations in children from newborn to 18 years, as well as adults; it performs the most complicated plastic and reconstructive operations on lungs, heart, liver, genitourinary organs, digestive tract, locomotor system and other organs, including endosurgical techniques.